Today started out a bit off because Carly was feeling sick. Her blood pressure was low and her oxygen saturation was low. I put her back on oxygen and had her raise her legs and feet. After a few minutes, she was feeling better, but not well. We toddled out to the car and got on our way.
When we got there, Jo reminded us that she has a new home dialysis patient to train starting today at 11:00. We told her okay and went into the room to set up. Because Carly felt dizzy, I set up the machine from beginning to end. I gathered all the supplies needed for sticking her and hooking her up to the machine. I checked the batch in the machine since it was new to make sure it was good.
Once the machine had cycled through and was ready, I stuck both of her access sites and hooked her up without much problem. The lower needle was troubling her and Jo re-positioned it for her. After that, all I had to do was monitor her vital signs every thirty minutes and chart it.
When the treatment was done, I had Jo talk me through taking her off the machine since this is still confusing to me. She helped me and I got Carly off the machine and unhooked without her bleeding profusely. I cleaned up the machine and all the trash and we were good to go! She had a good dialysis treatment but she still didn’t feel very good. She was simply exhausted. We went home to rest for a bit before we had to go to another appointment.